Friday, July 13, 2007

NUMB3RS: It's Not Your Basic Math Class


NUMB3RS
CBS, FRIDAY, 10:00 p.m.
Every now and again a network launches a show in midseason that clicks on all cylinders. Three seasons ago CBS had such a launch with NUMB3RS.
A family friendly drama on Friday nights, the show revolves around the adventures of Don and Charlie Epps as they solve crimes using math.
Don (Rob Morrow)(Right in photo) is a special agent for the FBI who seems to never have a crime that doesn't require the help of his math professor brother Charlie (David Krumholtz)(Left in photo) and Charlie's friends Larry and Amita. In fact the interaction between the forces of the FBI and the forces of acadamia are a huge part of this shows magic.
That and the relationship between Don & Charlie and their father Alan (Judd Hirsh). Hirsh was a piece of brilliant casting as he shares a house with his math geek son and in season 3 began a romance with Charlie's boss as well.
Early in the series we learn that while Charlie offering to help Don is something that began with the series pilot, he had actually been working with the government prior, helping to devise ways to profile terrorists and solve major crimes for agencies like the CIA and NSA. When Don learned that his little brother had a higher security clearance than he did himself... priceless television.
This series does not overtly glorify the crime. We do get glimpses of what is happening, but most of the emphasis is put on the seeking of the solution. And the wonderful way the FBI agents acknowledge Charlie's genius without having a clue what he's saying is sheer genius.
Notable in the supporting cast are Diane Farr as agent Megan Reeves and Peter MacNichol as Professor Larry Fleinhardt, one of Don's agents and Charlie's mentor, respectively. An interesting sub-plot involved a budding romance between the strong female agent and the quirky but gifted professor. As MacNichol took time off from NUMB3RS last season to take a part on "24", the romance took a back seat as MacNichol's character Larry was involved in a space shuttle flight to cover the absence. He has returned and is signed to be on the show again in season 4.
NUMB3RS is one of the few shows I watch on a regular basis. It is a can't miss for me, along with JERICHO, HOUSE, NCIS & HEROES (and now TOP CHEF). Other than those few shows, it's hit or miss for me...
:D

2 comments:

EddyG said...

I could not agree more, "NUMB3RS: It's Not Your Basic Math Class". Thank goodness!!

This is another show that a relative "turned me onto". I completely enjoy it. Not only are the plot lines interesting and the stories well written, the cast is very well put together. I have been a Judd Hirsch fan since his "Taxi" days and who didn't love David Krumholtz as "Bernard" the head elf in "The Santa Clause"? And Rob Lowe... well, what can I say? :-)The three of them come together in this show to make a very believable family unit. Mix in the quirkiness of various friends and co workers and you have a cast worth watching, in my opinion.

That said, I also very much enjoy that someone, somewhere along the line, found a way to take something I hated in school and make it not only interesting, but applicable to daily life! I am not saying I have gotten any better grasp of math from the show, but I do have a much better grasp of how it effects our daily lives and the "need" for the mathmaticians and other "geeks and egg heads". Absolutely no offense intended to those who are math wizards that see the world as numbers relating to each other in all that we say and do. I am just saying that it is nice (for me anyway) to finally make a bit of sense out of some folks fascination with the world of numbers!

While I am not able to watch the shows I enjoy on tv (no cable, no satellite, etc...) I do anxiously await CBS' postings of Numb3rs episodes online each week and I too look forward to season four!

EddyG said...

And Rob Lowe... well, what can I say? :-)
Well, I could start by saying "OOOOPS"!!! Wrong Rob, Right Sentiment!! LOL Sorry bout that folks!